Thursday, September 29, 2016

That Time I Gave Up Coffee

In honor of National Coffee Day (who makes this stuff up?) I am going to share my experience giving up coffee. It was recent, just a few months ago so I remember it well.
My new eating plan does not include coffee. What is my new plan you ask? Portion control and no sugar or carbs. Also no soda, even diet soda. And for a short time no coffee.

At this spot in the middle of my life I recognized that if I did not take control of my  weight now when would I ever do it? I have needed to lose the baby weight from my youngest child for all of her 14 years.

I started in the middle of May 2016 and did not drink coffee again until 2 months later in the middle of July. Was it hard? Kind of. I was not a huge coffee drinker but I do love the taste of it. I remember when my middle child, my son who was a terrible sleeper, was a baby I would go to bed at night looking so forward to my cup of coffee the next morning. Now that the baby days with him are 18 years in the rear view mirror my hankering for coffee is not quite so intense.

So I did it. I gave up coffee for 2 months and have pretty much given up sugar and carbs as well. The results have been fantastic. My head is clearer, you hear that a lot from people who have gone carb free/sugar free/ gluten free but until you experience it it's hard to imagine.
Because my head is clearer and I have lost weight my energy is up and my need for that cup of energy boosting coffee is down. 1 cup a day or less some days is my average.

I am sure that National Coffee Day is all about marketing and getting people to drink more coffee but as with anything for real life and good health moderation in all things is key.

Now if I could give up partying like a rock star every weekend. Just kidding, I wish ...

So that's my coffee story. If you are a coffee drinker enjoy all that free stuff out there today and  thanks for reading. Stay tuned for more from My Middleton Chronicles ... I'm on a roll with this blogging thing.

Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment