Monday, April 25, 2016

MicroblogMonday - My post did not resonate. I thought it was good!

Capturing vacation on my camera.
On this MicroblogMonday I am going to share a little twinge I felt last week. My blog post did not seem to resonate with people or generate much interest. Oh well. I thought it was good! No comments and just a few likes. We really do let our feelings hinge on online comments and likes. My April social media diet has curbed some of that in me but it still stung a little that it did not seem like many people noticed or read my recent post on Blogher. I posted it on all my social sites and it still did not get much traction. I was even worried that some of the content might offend. Nothing to worry about there. It would have to be read to offend.

The good thing is, I learned a lot from the research I did to write the post. That in itself is the reward. I am much more in tune to the pressures kids are facing these days and how social media plays in to those pressures. It's still scary but I am more educated.

Check the post in question out if you'd like to, here's the link -



10 comments:

  1. I'm off to read your post, Wendy. I've had this happen to me - a post that I put my heart and soul into doesn't seem to do well, but one that I wrote off the cuff seems to resonate with a lot of people. The learning for me is to keep writing about what I want to write and hope that it will be read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Corinne! I am overall ok with it and am working on finding my writing voice so hopefully that is a by product. I have written on other sites (for my industry not parenting) and gotten tons of comments so was surprised by the crickets. Thanks for reading and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm surprised you didn't receive more on this post. This happens all the time and my family has the same issue. We have electronic shut off time and electronic free days. Keep writing, you are hitting home. Just a slow week for responses maybe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a struggle and as parents we're basically saying do as I say not as I do if we are not putting down the electronics too right?

      Delete
  4. Ouch -- it would be hard to have my kid say that I'm on the phone/computer too much. Their opinion matters to me. Though I just jotted down the book you mentioned in the post. Need to read that to prepare ahead...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great read. Be prepared to be horrified though. Yes it was an ouch for sure & really got me thinking. Our time with our kids goes too fast as it is so wasting it by not being present is not ok for me. So glad for the wake up call!

      Delete
  5. I'm a woman without children, so hesitate to comment on any posts about this (or any parenting) subject. But you asked. I've sat in hotel restaurants and watched families. I remember seeing one family with a little boy who was effectively being ignored, and was meekly trying to get the attention of his parents, who did nothing but peer at the screen. I felt so sorry for him.

    I'm not saying you are like his parents. But I'm glad that you decided to put down your phone more often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mali. What you describe seeing in the restaurant is exactly what I don't want to be. The observations of someone who doesn't have children are helpful. If only those parents looked up & realized what they were doing.

      Delete
  6. Wendy, I think you did the first important thing in stopping and looking at the problem. My kids are 9 and were always complaining that they were the only kids in their classes without "technology". I just kept saying: "too bad"(well, let's say those were the 2 exact words I used anyway). My sister-in-law gave them tablets for Chanukah. That was 4 months ago & they act like they can't breathe without it. My son and daughter play games on it but my other daughter will make video after video if I let her (she has very limited internet access) on the Musically site & stares at the video the second it's posted to see how many hearts & likes she gets. One hour a day of that crappola is plenty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lori! Even though April is over I am going to try to continue with being more present.

      Delete