Tuesday, November 15, 2016

The Desk Project


I wanted to get my hands dirty and work on a project last winter. I found this Ethan Allen desk on a Facebook yardsale site. It is so heavy and was in rough shape. The lines are beautiful, the construction is sturdy so I decided it was worth tackling.
Paint and stain can be transformative.





Check out those dovetail drawers! Broken drawer handles are easy to replace and I decided to paint the bottom black and stain the top.

The project had some stops and starts and took up a good portion of the basement for several months. Finally it was ready for the start of the 2016 school year in September.
I tend to think of that time of year as a time of new beginnings and moved some furniture around to accommodate my kids doing homework in their rooms which left a spot open where we have a computer that needed a surface to rest on.
                                                                                                                                                          There was no way to make this desk look new again and I am good with that. I love the idea that the desk has been well used. Who knows what tasks have been accomplished on its top. If only furniture could talk. The guy I bought it from didn't have any info on where it came from, he was a junk dealer making a buck or two selling used items.

Time for creative projects is limited but it is something I love. I am going to change my "there's not enough time" way of thinking and make time to do some DIY over the next week or so. Here's to November and the month of change!
Thanks for reading and stay tuned for more My Middleton Chronicles.
Wendy
The finished project


2 comments: