Friday, January 1, 2016

2016 - The Challenges Continue

Challenges for a Happier Life 2016 starts now!

Holiday creations
The Challenges continue and the theme for January is balance.
Work, family, marriage, friends. Required work that must be done, work that brings Joy.
Figuring out what brings joy and creates balance was for me the first step to adding those things to my days.
The monthly challenges that I worked on the last 3 months of 2015 helped me understand that being creative is a huge piece of the balance puzzle for me.
Getting creative over the holidays was a blast. My husband was very thoughtful and my gift from him was a really nice camera and I'm so looking forward to having fun with it and learning to take great photos. Until then, my phone camera photos will have to suffice. Excuse the ametuer nature of them, thanks.

My creative challenge for January is to find a desk to refinish and create a home office that I love to work in. My space at my office also could use some help so I'll also spend some time making that area one that I love to work in. I tend to use the conference room in my office instead of my private space because things are not exactly neat. (even after my big de-clutter!)

Project piece
2016 arrived last night and with it new energy.
I plan on writing 2 posts this month that may be of interest and I thought I'd mention them today and then spend some time thinking through the ideas. Follow my blog or subscribe by email to get notified when these posts are up.

The first January post that I am working on will be a recap of all of my influencers from in this past year and what I learned from them. Documentaries, Ted Talks, movies and biographies are all part of my media consumption.  I am a big reader and there are several authors who spoke to me in 2015. There are also books that I could not complete, which is always interesting in its own way.  In a given year I take classes that are for my professional growth, some mandatory and some by choice, and classes for my own personal growth. This past year was no exception.
In January you can expect a post with my take aways from a year of listening, learning, watching and reading.

The second post that is on the horizon is my take on being an 'Intreprenuer'.
When considering how to become more engaged in my work life and make it more exciting I took on the mindset of intreprenuership. There is a lot of discussion and hype surrounding entreprenuership and I admire entreprenuers. That said many of us work for employers, companies or operate under a franchise and in those settings there is room to innovate just as entreprenuers do without the risk. Real estate agents who work under a broker are intraprenuers. (at least in my book)
I'll leave you with the dictionary's definition of the word intrepreneur. It is a word that is new to me although I now know it has been around for 150 years:

in-tra-pre-neur (In¹tre-pre-nur) n. A person within a large corporation who takes direct responsibility for turning an idea into a profitable finished product through assertive risk-taking and innovation 

As you can see I've got big plans. Check back here to see how I'm doing. As always your comments and feedback are welcome. I love learning from all of you.

Happy New Year! Wendy



9/24/16 - finished desk

7 comments:

  1. Hi, Wendy sure hope 2016 continues to be a bright spot in your life. As for keeping things balance as I age and gain wisdom (slowly) simple seems to be the key word....Came in from facebook (blogher writing lab)...Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading & for your sage advice. Simplifying seems to be a key to happiness for many people. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed reading your post. We must continue to challenge ourselves so we can grow. Balance is a great start for the new year, without balance life can get chaotic really quit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it can! Thanks for reading & commenting. Seems we are on similar journeys my friend.

      Delete
  3. I look forward to reading more of your posts. I have also been de-cluttering and making writing goals. It’s a brand new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is. Happy New Year & thanks for reading & commenting. Good luck with your d-cluttering efforts. It can seem never ending ...

      Delete
  4. Check out the completed destroy photo I've added to this post :)

    ReplyDelete