Thursday, October 8, 2015

Telling Myself What I Want To Hear?

Not perfect, but real.
Fake it 'til you make it?

So many people find joy in creating meals. As a mom it can feel like a chore. The challenge of cooking at home more will only be enjoyable if I work on making it enjoyable. I'm excited to search out new recipes and to make some old favorites.

I just read that last sentence back and have to say I think I just told a fib. Actually, I know I just outright lied. I'm not excited ...

Cooking does often feel like a chore. The cooking I do get excited about is a holiday meal. I love having family visit and sharing a holiday feast with them. My husband and I always look forward to hosting.

Growing up my mom did 100% of the cooking. My hard working dad worked very long hours and for the first half of my childhood my mom was a stay at home mom so they fell in to the traditional roles of mom doing the cooking. I have to say she really did take pride in cooking healthy meals for us and still does that in her home today. So what's wrong with me? I think I just fell in to the trap of how easy it is to eat out and to get take out.

My candle is still going, it truly is making home a haven. Just that simple act of lighting it and saying a prayer for peace in my home has brought some peace. Read about my octoberchallengesforahappierlife here.

What can I do to make the chore of cooking more enjoyable? This is where my creativity needs to kick in. What should I do? Have theme nights? Meatless Mondays, Taco Tuesdays, Whatever Wednesdays and so on. That could be fun. What do you do to make the chore of cooking more enjoyable? I'd love to hear your comments and suggestions.

Wishing you all my best, Wendy

6 comments:

  1. I think it's easier if you plan a meal for the week. Or start off smaller than that and plan it for 2 days worth of meals. Search through cook books or magazines you have laying around (EVERY magazine has at least 1 recipe in it) and pick 2 that look good to you and doable.

    Then shop. Get to the store and (remember your list!) get everything you need for those two days. Have your kids help you pick the meals and the groceries (if they're old enough). Having that done you'll at least feel more inclined to make the meals you selected because you took the time to plan it out.

    Then see if you can have fun making it. It's always helped me to pull out all the ingredients I'm going to need before I get started. Have an empty bowl or a grocery bag nearby for dumping trash into as you go. That'll help clean up much easier so that part won't feel like too much of a chore.

    I think if you take one step at a time it can start to be more enjoyable. And once you get started, it's easier to keep going! It becomes a habit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome suggestions. Especially the bowl or bag for trash so clean up is easier. Thanks for reading & commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cooking been changing here. At one time I cook for two sons and husband who worked very hard.
    Now it just the two of us and we're both trying to loose weight and eat more healthier on limited income....As for house hold chore we been doing construction and I work outside of the home...came in from NaBloPoMo

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so hard to eat right when you are busy. I am taking a page from a book I highly recommend, The Happiness Project, & am also working on getting my energy up by exercising so cooking feels less like a chore. When you have energy everything is easier!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved cooking holiday meals, but now that our kids are grown and have their own families scattered across the country it's just my husband and me and holiday dinner is just another night. I miss the days when I would have 24 around my Christmas table, with just barely enough room to fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 24 is a huge group. Sounds like good times & good memories.

      Delete