Tuesday, June 14, 2016

The Legend of the Mix Tape


The Goldbergs on ABC is, IMO, one of the best shows out there right now. The episode where Adam, the main character, makes his girlfriend a mix tape to express his love for her is touching and just so classic.

Lucky me, I was the recipient of a mix tape from the love of my life. When it was presented to me I didn't yet know he was the love of my life but I do now. 1995 seems like yesterday and forever ago all at the same time.

In 1995 I was a single mom juggling work, my little one and trying to have a little fun here and there. Enter Sean English. We met in a bar, I gave him my work phone number (that's what you did in those days, what if he was a stalker? I didn't want him to have my home number!).
The day he called I was not at work and he thought I was blowing him off. It was a nice surprise to get back to work and have a message from him.

After a few dates he came to pick me up at work and take me to lunch. He brought with him the mix tape. And some flowers, but what I most remember is the mix tape.

Song list:

Here's Where The Story Ends - The Sundays

Close To Me - The Cure

Dreams - The Cranberries

Here Comes My Girl - Tom Petty

Possession - Sarah Mclachlan

What's The Matter Here - 10,000 Maniacs

She's Got A Way - Billy Joel

Losing My Religion - R.E.M.

I Don't Want To Miss A Thing - Aerosmith

Shiny Happy People - R.E.M.

Sunday Bloody Sunday - U2

Take It Easy On Yourself - Eion Woods

Dreams - Fleetwood Mac

Happy Anniversary!


Here's my song for you - https://youtu.be/4BQMkg5T9U8


 June 14th 1997

2016
Our 3





3 comments:

  1. The Goldbergs is the BEST thing on tv right now! Oh how I miss mix tapes. My best friend and I had entire conversations with them back in the day. They were a sort of shorhand for all of the big stuff we didn't (or couldn't) say out loud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is the best show. I think mix tapes were kind of their own language. I had fun remembering the songs. I still have the tape but don't have a way to play it anymore :)

      Delete
  2. I wonder if you can get it converted to a cd?

    ReplyDelete